Thursday, September 10, 2020

Review: The Wrong Kind of Woman

The Wrong Kind of Woman The Wrong Kind of Woman by Sarah McCraw Crow
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Although I didn't love the book, I didn't hate it either. It is set in late 1970 at the tail end of the Vietnam War. Women’s liberation groups are popping up across the country and students are starting to activate for change for coed campuses. Virginia is kind of stuck in the middle of being a housewife and a working woman when her husband suddenly dies while hanging Christmas lights on the front porch. She is faced with trying to find her place and figure out who she is and how to move forward because she doesn't quite fit in with either group, the working or the housewives.
.
This story takes place at Clarendon College, which is an all men’s school in a small town in which they just started accepting a small number of women "exchange students," and have a few women professors know as The Gang of Four. The story is told from a few points of view, Virginia, her daughter, and a male student of Clarendon College showing all sides -- that of an older woman, a younger girl, and a man attending college.
.
Again, I liked the book and found the subject matter interesting as I didn't realize that this all happened only 50 years ago, which really isn't that long ago for women's liberation. I couldn't really connect with the characters that much. I don't know if they were unlikeable, unrelatable, or there just wasn't that much detail on them. And a lot of the storyline seemed very surface to me as if a lot of details were missing. But overall, I did enjoy the story, what it represented, and found the subject matter interesting.
.
I received this book as an uncorrected proof in a Goodreads Giveaway.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Moth Keeper

The Moth Keeper by Kay O'Neill My rating: 4 of 5 stars The Moth Keeper is such a great story. It is ...