Monday, December 27, 2021

Review: Hello, Transcriber

Hello, Transcriber Hello, Transcriber by Hannah Morrissey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As a transcriptionist myself, I was really excited to read this book. I had an idea in my head on what it would be but that’s not really how the story went.

Hazel is a transcriptionist for a police department but also an author who “writes what she knows.” She is unhappy with her life, it seems, making the book a little depressing - her husband is self-centered, her sister seems perfect, her mom left her when she was 17, and she is lonely. Enter good looking police detective, who she becomes instantly smitten with and starts an affair while trying to help him solve a drug/murder case.

The story was interesting but not really about the transcription side of things. It was more so about her taking control of her life and figuring things out. I didn’t really like Hazel all that much (or any of the characters, really). She came across as wishy washy and a real push over and not really understanding boundaries. The whole thing seemed dark and depressing from her, to the crimes, to the job, to the relationships.

It was an OK read for me, worth it for those who like a romantic, dark, whodunnit kind of read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Moth Keeper

The Moth Keeper by Kay O'Neill My rating: 4 of 5 stars The Moth Keeper is such a great story. It is ...