Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Review: 337

337 337 by M. Jonathan Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is one of those books that I scratched my head and thought , well, that was an odd one. But then when my sister in law asked me to tell her what the book was about it seemed quite interesting when I was explaining it to her.

When Samuel was a teenager his mother left a note with her wedding rings and disappeared, which he and his brother found. The cops did a thorough investigation, but did they come to the correct conclusion? Flash forward 20 years and Samuel’s grandmother is dying, whom he hasn’t spoken to in all of those 20 years, and he goes to be with her and see if he can get answers about his mother’s disappearance.

The story is told without a lot of dialog and through Samuel’s point of view. He lives alone in his parents old house, divorced, works a strange job, and he spends most of his time trying to figure out what happened to his mother by scouring old reports and a box items looking for new clues. He reflects a lot on the past as the story unfolds bit by bit leading up to when she left and what happened afterwards to him and each family member, including his father. Unfortunately, the characters don’t get developed much beyond that. I get frustrated with Samuel for not trying with his grandmother more and being, seemingly, lazy in many aspects of his life.

I don’t quite get the name of the book or where it came from. I’ve read a few different things - name upside down, page count, but I don’t know.

Overall it was an interesting book, it reads well, and is quick and easy, but the story kind of drags and is flat. The ending may seem predictable at one point or another in the book but regardless it will still leave you with you picking your jaw up up off the floor!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Moth Keeper

The Moth Keeper by Kay O'Neill My rating: 4 of 5 stars The Moth Keeper is such a great story. It is ...