Thursday, October 22, 2020

Review: Mexican Gothic

Mexican Gothic Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was super excited when my book club chose this book to read this month because it got so much hype over the summer. It really seemed interesting and I just couldn't wait to dive in!

I can certainly say that the author painted a phenomenal picture of the scene. I could vividly see the mansion, the surroundings, and everything associated with the setting as if I was placed within the walls myself. Very clear details of the dust, and walkways, and graveyard, and cracks, and smells, and everything that the characters were seeing, I was seeing as well, almost as if I was watching it on a movie screen. Now, if only she would have done as good a job on the character development and plot. Honestly, this book must've been the weirdest book I have ever read. I'm not saying that it wasn't interesting, but for the longest time, it just went nowhere. I would have to say that about the first two-thirds of the book was building up the scene and the last third described why they were there. I might have given up reading but I just really wanted to know what was going on, and it isn't what you think...

In my opinion, not a horrible book as the descriptors were great but it could have had a little bit better of a storyline and/or kept it going more. This will definitely make for some good conversation with the book club this month! Perfect for October/Halloween, for sure!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Moth Keeper

The Moth Keeper by Kay O'Neill My rating: 4 of 5 stars The Moth Keeper is such a great story. It is ...