Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Review: The Son of Good Fortune

The Son of Good Fortune The Son of Good Fortune by Lysley Tenorio
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Son of Good Fortune, he certainly is not! I understand the struggle happening in our country with un-documentation, I understand that people come to America for better lives, and I understand that it isn't easy for everyone that comes to our country. This book really sheds a lot of light on the hardships that people endure and what they go through when they are not documented in the United States as are the characters in this book. Jobs, money, abuse, friendships, scamming and lying.
.
This book runs you through many different emotions, hurt, anger, love, embarrassment, and it is like a train wreck that you cannot look away from. Excel just wants to find a normal life, unlike the one his mom provided him. When he runs away from it all after high school to live in a small city in the desert, will he find the life he is looking for?

I was really expecting a bit more out of this book with all the rave reviews but for me, it was just so-so. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. There is so much potential here and the message is clear and I would have liked it to go a little bit deeper (it only spans a year of Excel's life with some flashbacks). If you have some time it may be worth the read just for the perspective on living your life constantly looking over your shoulder and what undocumented people really go through.
.
I received this book as an ARC in a Goodreads Giveaway. Thank you, Goodreads and Harper Collins Publishers for the opportunity to read and review it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Moth Keeper

The Moth Keeper by Kay O'Neill My rating: 4 of 5 stars The Moth Keeper is such a great story. It is ...