Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Review: Olga Dies Dreaming

Olga Dies Dreaming Olga Dies Dreaming by Xóchitl González
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is one of those books that, I feel, maybe needed to be written to shed light on Puerto Rico and the state that it is in after many devastating blows. I know that I was definitely schooled because I didn’t realize that it is like the little forgotten about cousin of the United States.

As for the storyline and plot, I’m still scratching my head. It took me quite a long time for me to read this one. You have Olga and Prieto, siblings, who were abandoned by their mother while in their teens and had a father who died because he preferred a life of drugs. Olga is a wedding planner for the rich and elite, Prieto a politician. Olga has trouble keeping relationships and Prieto is in the closet. When Mom decides to pop up in their lives again it stirs up all kinds of things but most of all trouble.

It’s not that I didn’t like this book, it’s just that it was very political. I loved the family bonds and learning more about the Puerto Rican culture, and how the people of Puerto Rico feel about the U.S. government. I also enjoyed the strong independent characters. But for me, it was just a little too much politics in my face for my liking.

P.S. Fact check: Dallas was not flooded by Harvey - Houston was. And having been in the Houston area during Harvey I can say with

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Moth Keeper

The Moth Keeper by Kay O'Neill My rating: 4 of 5 stars The Moth Keeper is such a great story. It is ...